Summer Algae Control Tips:
We find that during the Summer months algae can get out of control quickly usually because of the heat and sun. Algae generally is not a reason for concern since most of the time it is not harmful to your fish – it usually bothers us more than them! A few things to keep in mind when deciding when and how to treat algae:
- Use algaecides first thing in the morning or last thing at night.
- Check the weather before adding any algae control products to your pond – especially algaecides. When our air temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit the dissolved oxygen levels are lower and algae control products should not be used.
- Do not mix products: Except bacteria based products like Microbial Algae Clean – avoid using other additives when treating for algae.
- 65% surface coverage is ideal – whether you have lilies, lotus, or floating plants like water hyacinths and water lettuce – the more surface coverage you have in your pond the easier it will be to treat and prevent algae blooms.
- Keeping algae control products in your system throughout the season will prevent algae from taking over. Use Pond Balance on a monthly basis, most algaecides can be used on a weekly basis
- Keep your pump and/or aerator running at all times while using algae control products.
For suggestions on specific products to use to treat your algae ask one of our sales staff.